Many spices and herbs go amazingly with raspberries to create various dishes ranging from appetizers to desserts. Raspberries pair well with thyme, cinnamon, basil, cayenne, and bay.
Here are a few ideas for sweet matches and some recipes that make the best of raspberries with spices and herbs.
Raspberry and Cinnamon Muffins
Muffins are incredibly popular, and they’re even better when they’re made from scratch. The whole family will be impressed by this delectable recipe.
- 275g plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 175ml milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 225g frozen raspberries, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Paper cake cases should be used to line a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing basin. Combine the butter, eggs, sugar, and milk in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, along with the raspberries, and stir together softly – do not over mix.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and risen, after dividing the mixture between the muffin tins. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before serving warm or cold.
Raspberry Cayenne Detox Smoothie
This smoothie not only tastes amazing with its delightful blend of peaches, raspberries, mangos, and bananas, but it’s also packed with detoxifying agents like lemon, honey, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. This smoothie will energize you, make you feel wonderful, and help your body repair!
- 20 raspberries
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 banana
- 6 chunks mango
- 6 slices peach
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ginger
In a blender, combine all ingredients. If you really want spice, up the spice amounts to 1/4 tsp each, but be aware that it adds a lot of heat!
Blend for about 15 seconds on the food processor setting, then for another 10 seconds on the puree setting, or until smooth.
Raspberry Chicken with Thyme
Raspberry chicken with thyme is a truly unique but wonderful combination of flavors that will leave your guests wanting more.
- 7 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (with skin)
- Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons unsalted
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 minced shallot
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Half of the raspberries should be pressed through a fine strainer; the puree should be saved. One thyme sprig should be tucked beneath the skin of each chicken breast, with as little weakening of the skin as possible. Using salt and pepper, season the chicken.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in the oil in a big, heavy, nonreactive skillet over high heat. Cook the chicken, skin side down, for 1 minute until the butter has stopped foaming.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the skin is beautifully browned. Brown the other side of the chicken for around 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep it warm in the oven at a low temperature. Remove all of the grease from the skillet.
- To deglaze the pan, add the vinegar, shallot, wine, and minced thyme to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes over moderately high heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 5 minutes, or until the chicken stock has been reduced to 1/4 cup. Cook, stirring constantly, until the raspberry puree is warmed through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons butter, whisking constantly. Leave the chicken breasts intact or slice them crosswise.
- Serve on hot dishes with the sauce spooned on top or alongside. Serve garnished with leftover thyme sprigs and entire raspberries.
Click here for more: Different Types of Raspberries | Raspberries Caring Guide – How To Prevent Deer From Eating Your Raspberries | World’s Top Raspberry-Producing Countries | Raspberry Season – When do you plant raspberries? | Raspberries Caring Guide – How to prevent squirrels from eating your raspberries
Strawberry and Raspberry Basil Cake
This cake is a refined combination of fresh basil with a decadent strawberry and raspberry sauce. This wonderful cake is known for its crisp crust and rich, delicate texture.
You may create the sauce ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to serve this delectable dessert.
- 6 ounces Raspberries
- 16 ounces Strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 Cup fruity olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil to the saucepan, then add the raspberries and strawberries, allowing them to sizzle for a while. Then lower the flame to medium heat and add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Keep stirring to combine the ingredients well. Let the pan simmer on low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the berries have become soft and saucy. Once done, let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Two 9-inch round cake pans should be brushed with butter or lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Use parchment paper to line the bottoms of the pans and lightly coat the paper with cooking spray. Dust the paper with flour and tap off any excess.
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, in a mixing bowl and combine them. Set the flour mixture aside. In a large mixing bowl, pour yoghurt, vanilla essence, olive oil, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, chopped basil, lime zest, and tablespoon lime juice. To combine the components, stir them together.
- Over the wet ingredients, pour the flour mixture. Gently stir until everything is well combined. Do not over mix the ingredients. Using a spatula, evenly distribute the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 23-25 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool on a cooling rack to room temperature. On a cake platter, place one cake layer. Spread half of the berry sauce evenly over the cake layer. Place the second cake layer on top of the first one. Spread the remaining berry sauce evenly on top. Finish with the remaining tablespoon of basil on top of the cake.
Raspberries go phenomenally with many spices and herbs. A little ending note is that remember to use herbs that are just as fresh as the fruit. Hardy herbs like sage, rosemary, and thyme should be minced as finely as possible when using them with raspberries.