It never fails to make me giggle when I say I haven’t made something before and people have a bloody hernia.
Vegetable Invasion Quiche
- 1 Crust.
- 4 Large Free-Range Organic Eggs.
- 3/4 C Cream or Milk.
- 3/4 - 1 C Swiss Gruyere Cheese grated.
- 1 Medium Onion sliced.
- 2 Leeks cleaned, cut in half, and then sliced.
- 1 Head Bok Choy cleaned & chopped.
- 1/2 Head Radicchio chopped.
- Small Handful of Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley roughly chopped.
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme chopped.
- Pinch of Nutmeg.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper.
- Lay crust in a 9" dish & heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat with a good glug of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions. Allow to begin to caramelize quite a bit, stirring often, and then add the leeks. Stir well. You may want to add a little bit more oil at this point or a tad of butter - your call. Make sure they don't burn though!
- Once both leeks and onions have a good deal of color on them, remove from heat and place in a bowl. Return the pan to the burner and carefully pour in 1/2 C of water and then toss in the bok choy, covering with a lid. Allow to steam for about 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain well. Set with the leeky onion mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream or milk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour into the prepared crust. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden and delicious looking.
- Remove from the oven and let set for about 5 to 10 minutes.