Do you ever find yourself absolutely lusting after one particular ingredient or dish or flavor or texture?
It happens to me all too often. I’ll be sitting around, minding my own business – you know, sipping my bourbon (John calls me “Kristy 5 Fingers” because I have a habit of pouring more than what would be a respectable amount of booze for one person into my cup – which sounds way dirtier than it clearly is), reading a book and generally being awesome – and then BAM! The idea for something thrusts itself into my head and all I want to do from that moment forward is put it in my mouth!
…Again, that sounds dirtier than it is.
These kind of cravings often happen with pasta which is why I make my own so often – store bought never really soothes the craving beast. I need that tender, hand crafted texture wrapped up in something incredibly delicious like the incredible smokey Italian Bolognese I made the other day or a homemade demi glace and fresh roasted or grilled seasonal farm fresh vegetables. Or even better, some kind of slow braised pastured meat like my Balsamic Slow Braised Grass Fed Short Ribs atop Sweet Potato infused Pasta. That, is my heaven.
Great. Now I have a craving.
Some women get cravings when they’re pregnant because the babies need something…. I get cravings because my FOOD BABIES need something. Which… sounds a bit like poop. But I swear that’s not what I mean when I say “food babies”. What I really mean is my belly is full. Of food. Hence, food babies. Like a pregnant woman’s belly is full. But with a mass of protoplasm human type stuff. Gross. This isn’t going where I want it to.
Let’s move on shall we?
So what was it that smacked me in the face this weekend and was like “Bitch! You want this! NOW!”? Cheesecake. It’s my new obsession. And what was I to do with the fresh rhubarb Farm City Co-Op gave me in the CSA last week? Easy. Make cheesecake and top it off with Vanilla Honey’d Rhubarb Sauce. Because what else is a girl to do but eat a crap ton of cheesecake slathered in tangy, sweet fruit sauce when a craving hits?
Food babies. Real babies. Who cares? I had a craving. Gimme.
Vanilla Honey'd Rhubarb Sauce
- 4 C Rhubarb washed, dried & chopped.
- 1/4 C Local Organic Honey.
- 1 Vanilla Bean sliced in half and seeds spooned out (save seeds for another project).
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon.
- Zest of 1 Lemon.
- Pinch of Coarse Sea Salt.
- 1/4 C Water.
- If desired to serve 1 9" Cheesecake.
- Dump all the contents (except for the cheesecake, obviously) into a heavy based sauce pan, cover and place over medium heat, stirring often to ensure nothing burns.
- Simmer for up to 10 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and mushy. Remove from the heat, carefully dump into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve warm (or cold - whatever you prefer) with incredible homemade cheesecake or spoon atop ice cream. Makes approx 1 C.
What are your food cravings? Or ANY cravings? What can’t you get enough of?