Back up plan? 4 Cheese Porcini Vegetable Stuffed Schiaffoni with Fennel Cannellini Bean Sauce. Heck yeah!
Cheese Morel Vegetable Stuffed Cannelloni with Fennel Cannellini Bean Sauce
- 16 ounce package Schiaffoni pasta
- 1/4 cup dried morel mushrooms rehydrated in 1 cup hot water (save the water for the sauce), roughly chopped.
- 1/2 Medium Onion finely diced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced.
- 1/2 C Carrots grated.
- 1 C Spinach cooked & chopped.
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg.
- 2 C Ricotta Cheese.
- 6 Oz. Cream Cheese.
- 1/2 C Pecorino Romano grated.
- 1 C Mozzarella grated.
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Butter unsalted.
- 2 Tbsp White All-Purpose Flour.
- Reserved Mushroom Liquid.
- 1/2 C Dry White Wine.
- 1 C Chicken or Veggie Stock.
- 2 Tsp Fennel Pollen.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- 1 14 oz. Can Cannellini Beans rinsed & drained.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic and re-hydrated mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes or until onions start to gain a bit of color on them.
- As that cooks, combine the ricotta, cream cheese, pecorino romano and mozzarella in a food processor; blend until smooth.
- Once the onion mixture if finished cooking, stir the spinach, carrots, nutmeg, and said mixture together until well blended. Season well with lots of pepper.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta for 7-10 minutes, or until el dente and drain well. Rinse with cold water.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish and set aside. Spoon - or manhandle - filling into each noodle until full. Place in prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Sauce: Melt butter in the same skillet that you sauteed the vegetables over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Next, add the mushroom liquid, white wine and chicken stock to the flour mixture, stirring all the while to prevent lumps and ensuring you get all the bits off the bottom of the pain. Season well with salt, pepper and fennel pollen to taste and simmer 5 minutes to blend the flavours. Add the beans and heat through. Serve the sauce over the stuffed pasta.