Ambrosial Apple Pie
Perfect Pie Crust (The Body):
- 1 Cup chilled Crisco shortening.
- ½ Cup chilled butter.
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour.
- ¾ Cup ice cold water.
- Apple filling The Heart
- 5 Large Granny Smith apple.
- 2 McIntosh Apples.
Smooth Caramel Butter Sauce (The Personality):
- ½ Cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ Cup water
- ½ Cup white sugar
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tsp. cinnamon
For Crust & Lattice:
- Cut Crisco, butter, and flour in together until the mixture resembles pea sized crumbs. Pour in the water and mix just until completely combined. Depending on the moisture content of your flour, you may now have to add a couple more tablespoons of flour, just until the dough is no longer sticky. Try not to over work the dough…pie crust is one area in life where flaky is a desirable quality.
- Divide the dough into two balls, one slightly bigger than the other (trying..not..to..make..joke…). Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 min or so.
- Roll out the larger ball and line your 9” deep dish pie dish with the crust. Roll you’re your second ball and cut into 1 inch strips. If you are unfamiliar with making a woven lattice crust, check out youtube; there are many instructional videos and it really is quite simple.
- Peel, core and slice apples into ¼ inch slices.
- Layer the apples in the prepared crust dish until it is slightly mounded on top.
- Cover with your lattice crust, lacing the pieces as you go.
- Heat butter in a sauce pan until melted; add in the four to make a paste. Mix in the water and both sugars and heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture on top of your lattice crusted pie, ensuring the caramel mixture goes not only in the lattice holes, but on the lattice as well. This will give it that crisp irresistible variation. Try not to let it pour off the side though…that would give it that burnt sugar variation, haha.
- Bake for 15 minutes in your preheated 425F oven. Turn the temperature down to 350F and continue baking for an additional 40 minutes or until the apples are tender. Allow at least one hour for the pie to cool.