Happy Monday my loves!
Cheesy Oozy Baked Breadcumb'd B-Nut & Cauliflower
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower de-leaved & stemmed, chopped into 2-3" pieces.
- 1 Medium Sized Butternut Squash peeled and de-seeded, chopped into 2" pieces.
- 1 Onion peeled and sliced.
- Handful of Fresh Sage Leaves roughly chopped.
- 1 C Swiss Gruyere Cheese grated.
- 2 C 2% Milk.
- 2 Tbsp Butter + extra for greasing.
- 2 Tbsp Flour.
- 2 C Breadcrumbs preferably brioche.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Coarse Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees F and grease a large baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Toss the cauliflower, squash and sage along with a glug or two of olive oil and a good helping of salt and pepper in a shallow baking pan. Arrange as one layer so every cut of vegetable should be touching the bottom of the pan. Use 2 pans if necessary. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until just fork tender, stirring every 10 minutes or so to ensure the most coloring possible.
- Once fully roasted, remove from the oven and set aside.
- As they roast, heat a Tbsp of oil and a little dab of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions once it starts to sizzle. Season with salt. Allow the onions to caramelize, stirring often. This will take about as long to brown as the roasting veggies. Once rich and golden, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now make the sauce: In that same saute pan, add the 2 Tbsp of butter. Once it's sizzling and hot, add the flour. Stir constantly until the mixture becomes fragrant and starts to change colour. Remove from the heat, gently pour in the milk whilst stirring and return to the heat. Keep stirring the mixture until it thickens.
- Again, remove from heat and fold in cheese. Mix well.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to prepared baking dish, followed by the caramelized onions and then the oozy cheesy mixture. Stir well. Top evenly with breadcrumbs and a wee sprinkling of salt.
- Place in the 400 degree oven allowing to heat through and the breadcrumbs to brown nicely - approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.