Want to enter the giveaway for your chance to win the Spicy Salt Spring Kitchen Co giveaway right now? Click here!
Hey, hot stuff…
Quick poll: what’s the sexiest meal of the day?
Then I thought, nah, it’s gotta be lunch. I mean, there’s a whole song written about “Afternoon Delight.”
But ultimately, I finally – and confidently – settled on breakfast. Or rather, brunch.
Yep. I’m a brunch girl.
There’s nothing sexier than brunch the morning after. Or the night before. There’s just something about a homemade meal and tousled hair and the smell of fresh brewed coffee in the morning. Whether I’m with someone else, or even all by myself.
Oh, I went there… twice.
Partly because I’m a woman: I can. And partly because I’ve been thinking a lot about self-love recently. Creating intimacy with ourselves – and each other – is about more than just sex. Though that’s fun too. It’s also about vulnerability. Honest conversation. Kindness. And brunch. Ideally all wrapped up in rumpled bed-sheets and fluffy handcuffs.
What can I say? Some like it hot.
This February, keep it spicy! Light some candles. Put on something that makes you feel GORGEOUS. Go slow – make it an all day kind of thang. And get down with ‘yo bad self. Or, get down with someone else. And once you’re done gettin’ jal-ep-eño biznass, get into the kitchen and make this brunch recipe!
If you’ve been following along, you know I’ve had a huge crush on Salt Spring Kitchen Co for a while now. They’re a local West Coast company making handmade savoury, spicy, and sweet jams for pairing with cheese and charcuterie. Or in this case, brunch. This month – the month of looooove – I wanted to share their spicy collection of preserves with you. From jams to pepper spreads to condiments and hot sauces, Salt Spring Kitchen Co has a wide range of yummy ways to spice things up. Because you know what they say: variety is the spice of life.
And this Huevos Rancheros recipe is a little bit of everything: sweet, savoury, salty, and best of all, spicy. Huevos Rancheros involves very little cooking, can be partly-made ahead the night before, and uses only a handful of ingredients, giving you lots of time for other spicy things… Hubba hubba.
Hot Sauce: the not-so-secret sauce of this recipe, is the Salt Spring Kitchen Co hot sauce and candied jalapeños. I’m not even exaggerating – the hot sauce is literally the best hot sauce I’ve ever had, and the jalapeños – kids!!! I put this shit on everything. From eggs to burgers to wraps to sweet potatoes to cheese boards and on pizza; sometimes I even just raid the fridge and sneak one out of the jar for a sweet & spicy treat.
Salsa or pico de gallo (homemade salsa): I love making my own salsa with fresh ingredients, but if tomatoes aren’t in season or you DGAF, sub your favourite salsa.
Spiced black beans: any can of regular black beans will do. We gonna make ’em yummy with a few basic pantry ingredients.
Eggs: farm fresh, pastured eggs are best. They taste better, feel better, and the chicken who produced them will thank you for the better life they lead. You know, if chickens could talk. We’re looking for thick, bright orange yolks, my friends.
Cheese: I’ve used traditional crumbled cotija in this recipe, but feta is a fantastic substitute.
Avocado: slice a quarter of an avocado (or more) for creaminess.
Tortillas or chips: I’ve used locally made corn tortillas, but my fav is to combine a couple of those with my favourite tri-coloured tortilla chips. It’s like a tag-team of tortilla.
- Winter Wonderjam Whiskey Smash
- Jammy Sparkling Apricot & Pink Peppercorn French 75
- Appetizer Shrimp & Grits with Hot Mango Salsa
- Sheet Pan Roasted Tandoori Chicken with Tandoori Chutney
- A gift box trio of Salt Spring Kitchen Co hot sauces including Habanero + Curry + Orange hot sauce, Morita + Espresso + Chipotle hot sauce, and Pineapple + Turmeric + Achiote hot sauce
- A 270ml jar of EACH:
- Candied Jalapenos
- Hot Mango Spicy Pepper Spread
- Raspberry Habanero Spicy Pepper Spread
- Peach & Pepper Spicy Pepper Spread
- Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread
- A “Pump up the Jam” Salt Spring Kitchen Co tote bag
TO ENTER: Simply visit the post on Instagram to like & save the post, follow us, and tag a friend you’d love to #SundayBrunch with. Easy peasy!
CONTEST END DATE: Contest closes February 18, 2021, 11:59pm PST.
Easy Huevos Rancheros
For the Spiced Black Beans:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 X 540ml can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Salt Spring Kitchen Co Hot Sauce take your pick - I've made this with all 3 and it's been delicious each time!
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 1 1/2 C cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 C white onion peeled & diced
- 1 garlic clove peeled & minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Salt Spring Kitchen Co Hot Sauce again, take your pick - all 3 are SO good!
For everything else:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 pastured eggs
- Crumbled cotija or drained and crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp Salt Spring Kitchen Co Pickled Jalapeños chopped & divided
- 1/2 an avocado sliced
- Corn tortillas warmed according to package directions just before serving
- optional: tortilla chips
- To serve: Extra hot sauce and lime wedges - because you can
- Make the spiced beans: place a large frying pan on the stove over medium heat. When hot, drizzle with olive oil and add the onion. Cook until just starting to get a bit of colour on them, approx. 10-15 minutes. Add the beans, hot sauce, and spices. Toss to coat and cook a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Make the pico de gallo (if not using pre-made salsa): place all the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with coarse sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Mix well. Set aside and/or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Wipe the spiced beans pan clean and place over medium heat with a tsp or two of olive oil. When hot, gently crack your eggs in without breaking the yolks. Fry until it's cooked to your liking - over-medium is the classic.
- Grab a couple plates: spoon some of the black bean mixture as a base layer, followed by the pico de gallo. Top with two eggs each, a handful of crumbled cheese, Candied Jalapeños, avocado, and tortillas and/or chips. Serve immediately with extra Salt Spring Kitchen Co Hot Sauce and lime wedges.
FIND MELANIE & HER SWEET, SAVOURY, AND SPICY LINE OF PRODUCTS: Salt Spring Kitchen Co | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | At various markets around the lower mainland through out the year, and at a handful of select retailers across Canada.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Salt Spring Kitchen Co provided me compensation for the work I did developing a recipe and taking the pictures for this post. Thank you SSKC for supporting my blog! I only recommend, giveaway, or share products or services I love, use personally, and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions, words and information here are entirely a reflection of my true experience and were not influenced, in any way, by the above mentioned company. Opinions and views are my own. Because that’s how I roll, yo.